Sunday, June 13, 2010

Immersing deeper through Joomla - I

As I have posted earlier, I installed Joomla, the content management software. It is not to launch my web site immediately, but to learn web development. I am running the software in my own PC as a localhost. Since I do experiment and learn, this can not be a public hosted site.



The picture above shows original Joomla page cropped to show the top portion. The picture below shows the modifications I carried on Joomla template. 






I started from the front page. I did change the news flash items that appear on the right top of the site. This news flash changes randomly with loading or reloading of this page. I changed the names of the top menu that appear below news flash. I did not change the contents of these menu items. I changed the logo of Joomla. I used Inkscape program to create my emblem. It is a simple one. Later I embedded in the logo using Gimp and incorporated my motto and my site name.

I am not content with just changing the contents. I started poring over the codes and learning the bare bones of a complex web sites like this. It is interesting and absorbing. In the process my web development learning has accelerated. Now, I am more comfortable with php and database administration. I use phpMyAdmin for administration of the data base. It is an enormous task, since I have to pore over a thousand files with probably a million code. I am not fazed by the enormity of the task, since I have structured my learning properly.

I am really happy on the progress, especially after installation of Joomla.

PS: I am using all open source software in this project.
  • Platform - Ubuntu
  • Web server - Apache
  • Data server - MySQL
  • Scripting Language - PHP
  • Code editor - Gedit
  • Graphics editor - Inkscape
  • Image editor - GIMP


No comments: