Sunday, March 07, 2010

A Notebook landed on my lap

My desktop is more than six years old, and was calling my attention for upgrade/replacement. My desktop is still a real work horse. I call it a horse, since it is kept up to perform most of my works effectively and speedily. I have only two  issues with my desktop.
  1. The processor fan makes hell of a noise when processor heats up. This happens when the processor is made to work above 50% performance and the ambient temperature in my place is above 35 deg C. We experience this ambience 2/3 of the days in Chennai.
  2. The monitor is a CRT monitor and is more than ten years old. The adjustment buttons are sticky and refuse to take my commands. However, the present contrast and brightness settings are good enough.
To my relief, my younger daughter, who visited India from USA, gifted me a new laptop. My daughter is doing her PhD and managing her expenses without my support. Though it is not a top-end one, it is a very good value item in terms of money and performance. I started loving it.

I am giving below the link to technical specification of laptop.
HP Pavilion dv5t-1000 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC
I have done some changes to software (not hardware) as given below:
  1. Originally, the notebook had Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64 bit). I changed OS to Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64bit). I could not upgrade and I had to do a clean install. I already tested beta version of Windows 7 and had some experience on this. I loved its robustness and performance enhancement. I have posted my opinions about this in my early blogs. Please click here and here to see my postings
  2. Windows 7 did not install proper drivers of graphics card and webcam. I went to HP support site and got the proper drivers, Installations were one-click affairs.
  3. I also installed HP assistant software, which takes care of performance problems. Though, Windows 7 takes care of most of the performance problems, I just installed HP assistant as an additional tool.
  4. I loaded all my required apps and it is a productive machine now.
I tested the performance of my laptop using Windows 7. The results are given in the picture below.
performance
The performance ratings mean that my laptop is good for most of the multimedia presentations as well as most of the games. It may not perform well in case of intensive 3D graphics programs and games. I  tested with some media files and games. the performance is more than satisfactory. This laptop connects to even very weak wi-fi networks effortlessly.
My honeymoon with my new laptop is still continuing. I may one day load Linux also in this laptop. Time has not arrived yet.
Technorati Tags: ,,,