Saturday, March 27, 2010

Windows XP mode

As you are aware from my previous post, my laptop OS had been upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 (64 bit)t. Windows 7 (64 bit) supports both 64 bit and 32 bit apps. I was able to load all my needed apps in my laptop. Currently, it is may main productive machine. This laptop communicates with my desktop through wireless router. I am able to print documents from laptop through the printer attached to the desktop. My laptop has built-in webcam, speaker, microphone and wireless adaptor and this makes my laptop clutter free. I wish that it also had inbuilt Bluetooth adapter.

I wanted to sync my Palmtop (my old gadget) Tungsten T with my laptop. Unfortunately, Palm desktop (plus sync) software for Tungsten T  is not suitable to work in Windows 7. Palm stopped development of software for this product long time ago. As I explored the ways for making Tungsten T to communicate with my laptop, I found that Windows XP mode in Windows 7 would be a perfect solution..

There are some conditions to be met before downloading XP mode software:
  1. It goes without saying that your Windows 7 should be genuine. Microsoft site would check before allowing you to download Windows XP mode software in your PC.
  2. Your Windows 7 edition can not be Home edition. It has to be enterprise edition. It should be either Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise.
  3. XP Mode required a processor with hardware virtualization support when it was introduced which meant that my laptop could not make use of it. Now, Microsoft has introduced a patch (update) that eliminates this requirement
My laptop has a genuine software, its edition is Professional and though my processor does not support virtualization, it is not a requirement now. My laptop got qualified. Three downloads in sequence were necessary. First, XP mode was downloaded and installed. Then, Windows virtual PC was downloaded and installed. Lastly, XP mode update was downloaded and installed. The total download size was around 500 Mb. The installation and start up went smooth.

XP mode I installed Palm desktop app in XP mode. Now, my palmtop gadget is happily synchronizing and communicating with my laptop. Having succeeded in this endeavor, I am looking through my old CD stacks to find out whether I require any old app to work in my new laptop. XP mode is mostly meant for enterprises that can not or do not have the resources to convert their old software to work in Windows 7. I used this idea to my little personal need


No comments: