Friday, July 17, 2009

Exploring Windows 7 – Part II

This is a continuation of my previous blog on this subject. Initially, I was not able to share folder from my host machine to my Windows 7 guest. This got resolved, when I upgraded Virtual Box to version 3.0. I still have some problem in using my removable thumb drive. This is a problem connected to VM application.

Now, let us talk about Windows 7.

Windows 7

  • Outlook is taken away from Windows 7 and integrated with Windows Live. Outlook gone into clouds (I mean cloud computing).
  • Action center is new and liked by me. It takes care of security and maintenance of the system. Security includes updates, internet security, user access control, malware protection and firewall. Maintenance includes managing all applications and system files, trouble shooting them and providing solutions. This action center automates most of the actions. Human interface is minimal even in solving the problems. Action center makes the system robust.
  • Control Panel is enhanced and well organized. The components of control panel are nicely grouped together. Program compatibility wizard is new pick of this group. It helps run applications that have compatibility problems with windows 7, but work with earlier windows. This is really good for some non-standard applications.
  • Media Center is a major improvement, though it did not work in my PC due to incapability of my graphics card. My graphics card has 16Mb memory as against a minimum requirement of 64Mb. Further, my card does not support 3D. Still. I was able to run sample HD video supplied by Windows 7. It was good.
  • Event Viewer is another major enhancement. Event logs on hardware and software can be accessed through this application. It is organized so well that troubleshooting will become easy.
  • Widgets and themes are other additions that may attract some. I would consider them as just attractions and nothing more.

Over all, I like Windows 7. Would I upgrade? I need to mull over. When cloud computing is the new mantra and lean hardware/software is the future, should I invest on an OS that costs a big sum for upgrade and consumes a lot of storage space. The decision would be based on the winner of the two – the mind and the heart.

No comments: