Monday, May 10, 2010

Joomla – CMS (content management software)

joomla
Joomla is a content management software of web sites. This provides a tool for a novice like me who is slow in learning web coding. This software provide readymade templates for different types of web sites. What one needs to do is change the contents, links, logos, pictures, menus, etc to create his/her own web sites. It does not require deep knowledge of coding. After changing the contents, the files can be hosted in the internet for active use. To run and test the Joomla before hosting, one requires web development tools like web server and data sever. For content modification, just any browser is enough. If some one wants to venture into coding, then PHP software and a PHP editor are required. This software can be used in  any platform and browser. Since I am interested in learning and still not decided on my project, I am just experimenting with the software and not hosted any web site using Joomla.
I installed wamp server package in my windows PC and lamp server package in Ubuntu PC, a requirement to run Joomla. WAMP stands for Windows, Apache web server, MySql data server and PHP scripting language. LAMP stands for Linux, Apache web server, MySql data server and PHP scripting language. Please note Apache, MySql and PHP are free software. Linux (in my case Ubuntu) is also a free software. These have become my testing beds for my web sites development. I did some changes to messages, links and graphics. I will change the style sheet in future and also do coding changes in future. I am currently using Net Beans as PHP editor in Windows and gedit in Ubuntu to pore over the Joomla codes. I have not ventured into changing the codes yet. It is a good starting point for me to enter into developing complex web sites. As I am learning PHP and javascript, it may not take far too long to create my own web sites. Thanks to Joomla.
Magento is another similar CMS software. Its target is mostly e-commerce. Joomla has templates for various types of web usages. I am not an expert on these software yet to asses them, but I find Joomla easy to use and learn. My focus now is on Joomla only. Please click here to know about Joomla and downloads,

No comments: