Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Windows Live

Windows Live is a suite of web service applications provided by Microsoft. Many components of this suite were in existence before Microsoft started Live applications. They were hotmail, MSN messenger and Spaces (personal blogging). Once Windows Live Beta was started, other applications like Windows Live Mail were added one by one. Now, Windows Live has come out of Beta and has a number of applications in it. The following table provides the list of applications in Windows Live and their uses:

Component Function Features
Windows Live Home Page This can be personalized with gadgets like news feeds
Live Mail Access mutliple e-mail accounts Replaces Microsoft Outlook Express
Live Messenger Instant Messenging application Replaces MSN messenger
Live toolbar Internet Explorer toolbar Quick access to useful services and applications
Photo Gallery Photo Management Edit, enhance, organize and share your photos and albums
Writer Blogging tool Can create blogs with pictures and videos and publish directly in known blog services.
OneCare Family Safety Safe browsing for family Block web sites and contacts not suitable for children

I would like to discuss only two components, since others are not so new, at least to me.

Of all the applications, I love the most is "Writer". It is convenient to create my blog through "Writer" compared to my blog service site (Blogger.com). I can add a table, a video or a map without writing codes. But, I have to add codes in Blogger. Editing texts is also very easy in "Writer". Switching between "edit" mode and "preview" mode is fast. I do not have to say that I have created this blog through "Writer". A table present in this page will vouch for it.

I had difficulties with "OneCare Family Safety" initially. I configured this application for "automatic sign-in". Invariably, auto sign-in was hanging without completion. Without sign-in, I could not use either Internet Explorer or FireFox. It was frustrating. I changed the setting to "manual" and now it works. I still need to sign-in before using IE or FireFox. I need to explore this application further. Since my PC is shared by my family, this would be a very useful tool.

No comments: