Tuesday, December 01, 2009

BOSS serves me!



You may be intrigued by the title. Though I served under many bosses, this BOSS really serves me. This BOSS understands my native language (not so well, of course). This BOSS, I refer, is a linux based Operating System, developed by C-DAC (Centre for Development of Advanced Computing) of Indian Government. It has both desktop version and server version like any other other OS's. The aim of this project is for universal use of this OS through out India and make it uniform (at least in government departments).


I installed this OS in VMWare Player as a virtual machine. The installation was smooth. It has support for major Indian languages. One is able to switch to any major Indian languages and English at the log-in time. It is only few clicks of the mouse. I am trying to use BOSS in Tamil. I will not be honest, if I do not admit that I find it difficult to understand some Tamil words. Some of the technical words used in Tamil are Greek to me. I need to catch up. Using this OS in Tamil gives me an opportunity to enhance knowledge about my native language.



I do not find much different from Ubuntu and BOSS in operation, since both used debian packages. I am exclusively using this OS in Tamil to check whether I am comfortable in surfing and doing things I want in my native language. It is some times funny, some times great and some times painful. The reasons are:

  • Translations are not complete, so funny!
  • Some words used are Greek to me, so painful!
  • Some articles (non-technical) are more thought provoking, so great!
  • Google search can be done in Tamil, so great!
These opinions may change as I use this OS in Tamil. As regards to OS itself, it is as good as Ubuntu, which I rate better than Windows in speed, as good as Windows in usability. Remember, I am using Ubuntu more than three years.

PS:

  • BOSS stands for Bharat Operating System Solutions.
  • Link for BOSS downloads is here.
  • Click on the images to enlarge.


1 comment:

சந்திரசேகரன் said...

Thanks for your info by fosstamil http://fosstamil.blogspot.com pls see this blog foss details in tamil